Follow my journey as a Students Live reporter through the 2010 Olympic and Paralympic Games and beyond!

Tuesday, January 12, 2010

ONE MONTH TO GO

I can remember in the summer of 2003, my family and I were sitting in my Uncle's living room when we heard the news. Vancouver had won the bid; we would be hosting the 2010 Winter Games! At the time, I was thinking 'why would they announce it so early, they don't happen until 2010'. But now looking back, where did the time go? Those 7 years rolled by so fast. Now everywhere you go there's Olympic banners, signs and advertisements. And every morning on the front page of the news is a new Olympic story. If you look back about a year ago, you hardly heard anything about the Olympic and Paralympic Games, but now, everything is Olympic related! At every family dinner, the topic of discussion is the Games, and at school with my friends we're talking about Vancouver 2010. No matter where I am, or what I'm doing, the 2010 Games are on my mind.

Looking back to 2003 when I never thought I'd see the day that the Olympic Games were only a month away. Well that day is today!


Olympic Athlete of the Day: Speed Queen Mellisa Hollingsworth, the first Canadian to win an Olympic medal in the sport of Skeleton. The 29 year old is from Eckville, Alberta and grew up as a cowgirl on a ranch. Melissa has been competing world wide in the sport of skeleton since 2000. She has been dominating this season on the World Cup circuit, and is strong medal contender for Canada at these Winter Games! Outside of sliding, Hollingsworth also enjoys horseback-riding and volunteering. She does all kinds of charity work, and she is a motivational speaker inspiring young athletes to follow their dream. Melissa Hollingsworth is more than an amazing athlete, she is just an all around great Canadian citizen!

No comments:

Post a Comment